Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday, November 14,2008

Hey Everyone,
I cannot believe we have not written anything since Veterans Day. Well, Nov.11, we left Butlers Island where we anchored and set sail for Georgetown. The weather was wonderful. It was sunny but cool as we motor sailed down the Waccamaw River. Nelson let Ondra be the helmsman most of the trip. Yes, it was a short trip for us. We got into Georgetown at 3:45 and decided to stay at the Harbor Walk Marina docks so we could have easy asses to the town which was right in front of the docks. After getting the boat secure, we quickly showered and headed into town. What a pretty little seaport town! We had a late fresh fried shrimp lunch at Thomas Cafe. It was delicious. Then, we walked down the streets of town and back the boardwalk back to the boat. Ondra bought some knitting supplies and is trying to remember how to knit with the help of a book also purchased. Nelson changed the fuel filter with a little assistance from Ondra. We had a leisure evening with soup and grill cheese on the boat.
On Wed. morning, Nov.12, we departed Georgetown motor sailing out into Winyah Bay and back into the ICW South. The weather was cold. We had to wear coats, gloves, and hats to stay warm. We traveled until 4:00 and did not see as many boats as we had seen on the other days of our travels. I guess others decided to stay put and out of the cold. We stayed at an anchorage called Deewees Creek just off the ICW. We had an early spaghetti dinner, talked to our grandson, Jackson on the telephone, and watched the country music awards. Nelson slept while Ondra watched TV.(as usual)
Thursday, Nov.13, it was extremely foggy so we were later leaving than usual. After getting out into the ICW and not being able to see the markers, we immediately went over to a cove to the Left of the ICW and dropped the anchor for another hour until the fog was mostly clear. At 12:00 .m.we motored in the Charleston Harbor. We called the City Marinas several times trying to get a slip for the night but were told to call later to see if they might have a cancellation for the night. Sure enough, the closer we got, our last call got us a side the dock tie-up. We were pleased to get it as it saved us from having to put the dinghy and motor in the water for one night. There were over 400 boats slipped at these docks. After getting the boat secure and getting showers, we walked to the Battery and walked the entire walkway to the Charleston City Park docks. We were so tired that we found swings and rested and enjoyed watching the people and waterfront.
We took pictures of Patriots Point which was across from the Park docks and enjoyed the scenery. My computer is dying. I will finish later. Take care.
Nelson & Ondra

1 comment:

jondee said...

Nellie, sorry about the delay in sending words of wisdom and envy but you know how the Carroll's are, always the last to get involved. Just wanted to check with you to see if you got the call from Mayo about coming back to work. He feels like Ondra is about tired of you by now. Really sounds like you guys are having a great time. As noted we are envy of all you are doing and you both have worked hard for it. We are happy for you. Stay safe and may the weather continue to stay good for you.